Friday, October 1, 2010

Empty Nest Discovery #31: Saying No Is Not As Easy As It Sounds...For Me

Lately I'm awestruck at how hard it is for me to say this two-letter word. I've always been very bad at saying no. I've tried unsuccessfully many times to get over my discomfort with no, but I'd give up at the first opportunity to say it. It's too hard, I'd whine to myself. Well, my out-of-control schedule has me more committed this time to overcoming my objections to no. This time, I haven't given up as soon as the no-saying got tough. I have made two phone calls in as many days to one of my best friends for a 'say no pep talk'. It's kind of sad that I have to phone a friend to stay on the path to no, but it beats the alternative. And I won't abuse the privilege. I'm sure one of these days, I'll be a pro at no.

No comments: